Sunday 1 September 2013

The Devil Card in the Tarot




I'm not going to lie - when I first started to read the tarot I was always a little cautious of the devil card, probably because of watching 'The Exorcist' at when I was 13 that terrified me beyond belief of 'the devil' never mind picking a card that represented that archetype. As the years have went on, the fear absolutely faded but the card hasn't always had the best reputation, especially with people who have come from a Christian background.


I think it's important to say I don't believe in a 'devil' as such, I do believe negative energy can exist. I do feel that we all have a shadow, a dark-side - an ego. We all have a side of us that can be a little bit thoughtless, cunning or dare I say downright nasty. I don't even dislike the ego - I'm glad I have one, it keeps me in check and If I didn't have it, I wouldn't have learned half of the lessons I've learned at this point. (Thank you ego!) So I believe at this point I'll say - I'm thankful there's a devil card in the tarot too. (Couldn't get more controversial for an Angel expert, right?)


Recently while reading 'Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot' by Lon Milo DuQuette (my new writing hero) I was intrigued by his thoughts on this particular card, he says he feels it's the most misunderstood card in the deck and I would have to agree. Here's a quote to think about from page 137.

"But if the Devil is supposed to be the card that represents evil, which card should we pick to represent good? All the other trumps have the potential of representing the qualities of both good and evil. Why do we need one card just for evil? Can't the Fool be thoughtless enough; the Magus larcenous enough, the High Priestess seductive enough, the Empress wicked enough..." He goes on to make a point to every trump in the deck...

What's your thoughts and experience? Can you see the Devil card as a positive sign? Have you had it come up when visiting a Tarot reader? Are you a Tarot reader? I'd love to know.

Personally I've always read this card as a positive card when my client is happily married as for me it symbolizes a bond that can never be broken. The card in this particular deck as you'll probably know is so phallic (you just need to look at it) so I've always seen the Devil card as a symbol of life force, a passionate lover, the libido, energy - you get the point


Other ways I see this card:

Being held back by your own fears and ego
Feeling chained or stuck in a situation (could be anything from relationships/work/debt)
Being overly materialistic
Sexuality, Sexual attention
The sign of Capricorn

I really seen how this card can have two sides while allowing a client to pick cards recently. She told me about a guy who she really fell in love for quickly but she had been let down off of him twice after 2 long haul flights to visit him. I said "Pick a card from my deck to represent him and we'll see what it says" the card she picked was The Devil reversed;

I personally seen this as someone who can't offer the unbreakable bond of love (at that particular time), that he could be like that Devil on her shoulder that she can't get out of her mind, someone that lured her in with his libido and lust but again, smirking back at her when he can't offer her the commitment she deserves at this time. I pointed out that he isn't a bad guy at all but he really doesn't want to commit himself at this time. She agreed to all of the above.

Would I have changed my mind if it was upright - probably! But the Universe has spoken and I ALWAYS read what the signs say.

Open your mind to the Tarot, it's rich in symbolism and if it scares you - life probably does too, it's time to break those fears friends. It's a wonderful tool.

In this blog I'm giving away a Strength, Heart & Challenge reading. Using the Tarot I will help you discover what your strength is at this time, what your heart is allowing in and the challenge you need to overcome to achieve any goals. Just type a comment why you feel it can help you and you'll be notified by September 21st 2013 (but remember the interaction MUST be about the blog too) x

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely could benefit from a reading right now; my mom died 6 months ago and I had to take a leave from work to be with her, but decided I could not return afterwards for many personal reasons. I took another job with what I thought would be a thoughtyful company; only to be fired two months into it. I have been fired 3 times in 18 months. I don't even know who I am anymore, yet I feel like now is the time to follow my dreams.... but my dreams are scared of rejection right now. I am afraid but also ready to break though the fear. Who am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kyle,

    Yours are some wonderful insights about this card. So glad that you had the courage to cop to being scared of it. I think any honest Tarot reader will admit that it is one that we've gotten hung up on at some point. I'm a full-time reader (and co-host over on the Hay House Book Club), and like you, I completely trust what Spirit shows during a reading. This card tends to come up when a client is confused or "bedeviled" about a situation or person. My experience is that it is a message to face our fears and move through them. Like one author pointed out, devil spelled in reverse is lived. I think that we can only be truly present when we explore and bring Light to our shadows and fears.

    Btw, glad to see that you had such a great time at the HH event recently. Thank you for channeling all of the guidance you are receiving from the Angels. It is deeply needed here now. All the very best to you in your endeavors.

    With love,
    Elizabeth Pendleton
    Elizabeth's Oracle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elizabeth, Thanks for reaching out. I like how you've pointed out 'lived' too that's a really wonderful change on things. I really love this card being honest - just helps us remember the more human aspects to us that we must accept in order to grow, sometimes that can even be the more sexual aspects too.

      Wishing you loads of love and abundance in your work with sharing the light!

      Love

      KYLE :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Kyle. I love your interpretation. When I first started reading tarot I was very scared of this card as well. As I've grown in my reading skills I've found two main meanings. One is similar to yours, in that a person can't show up the way we want them to. It's not that they are bad, but they cannot show up and be the person (or situation) we were hoping to find. I often think of the Devil card as telling me that my own thoughts and beliefs are not aligned with allowing the situation to be what it will be and to stop trying to control the outcome of how another person or situation should be. The second interpretation I got just recently was about an event that happened in my life that turned out to be very different than I expected in not such a great way. The Devil card was telling me to not judge the experience as "negative" or "bad", but something that needed to happen for me to grow though. Again, it all comes back to how my mind and beliefs need to be released and to stop trying to control everything and every encounter in my life and everything is positive if we view it from the growth perspective.

    I've been working with the Angels for about 2 years now and I have complete trust that they protect me and will guide me through all the things I need to go though. Every little thing I encounter is with their guidance, so harm cannot come to me. From this view point, it is only my thoughts and interpretations that can stand in my way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kyle for lifting the veil on this tarot card, I completely agree with your interpretation especially "I don't believe in a 'devil' as such, I do believe negative energy can exist." This doesn't just apply to tarot, but I hear my self saying this when we are on paranormal investigations or clearing a house. Although I only use the tarot for my own personal growth, I notice that angel decks based on 78 tarot deck shy away from this type of card. In your upcoming deck have you included the fallen angel or its archetype?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! Thanks for you feed back! The Angel deck I'm creating is a prayer tool and is only 45 cards. It's not based on Tarot Archetypes so I have not allowed a fallen angel or devil card in the deck. I don't think I'll ever make a tarot deck because the one I work with and use is so rich - I'd say "don't touch what doesn't need fixed" - hehe

      xxx

      Delete
  5. lovely spin on The Devil card Kyle! I get this one often, sometimes too often. And I do have to agree with it's implications on negative energies and perhaps lifestyles. One thing it does for me, it allows me to have a reality check of my soul versus my ego. To me it just tells me to wake up, check yourself out, and fix it :D

    Love your books, love your blogs, and love your Fb page! Keep up the inspirations! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant interpretation of the card!!!

      Thanks for getting in touch <3 xxx

      Delete
  6. Hi Kyle, I think that the card represents hardship, but also signifies us to see the light in all situations. Or maybe that's how I see it for myself as I feel I have been going through my perfect storm for almost two years. I was injured, and it took my feet out from under me, turned my life upside down. But in this, I am finally finding my way back to me and all the love and light in my life. I guess I am just wondering what to do with all that I've learned. Blessings to you Kyle!!! Your interpretation if the devil card is exactly how I feel. I don't believe in the devil either.

    Love your work and can't wait for your new book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In many cases the aspect of limitation can mean that the person is where they need to be on their own life path and needs to work through this before they can clear all the blockages that hold them back.
    In a sexual way it connects with the intimacy of a relationship and the way in which couples are in this area - take that to a romance area then you can look at it from the perspective that these tow souls are bound together, maybe soul mates which can mean a difficult relationship that has its challenges.
    When I teach my students about the Devil or any card it is important they see that the duality and both sides of the coin, it also depends on the supporting or surrounding cards as to what it really shows about the nature of the reading and what it is to reveal to the reader.
    And quite simply it can relate to the timing of a situation and as the Devil is linked with Capricorn and January it may pin point something to look out for or that is connected with this too.

    Joan Charles x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think i have had the devil card in any readings i have received. If i choose the card in future i will remember this and hopefully wont freak out. Thank you for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kyle , thank you for your thoughts on tarot. It reminded when i was 17 and had a tarot reading, although i was excited i still remember feeling fearful 'the devil' would appear. Now my thoughts on 'the devil' are similar to yours with regards to our ego. I like to remember a Tom and jerry cartoon where tom has an angel on one shoulder and devil on his other, does he listen to his ego ' the devil' or follow his divine guidance. Bless poor Tom he never seemed to get it right:-) i would love a reading with you Kyle and wanted to share with you since seeing you last Thursday in London , i have dreamt twice now about your angel cards and each time its your face that's on the cards. Love and blessings, Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This devil is inside pope Francis, Jorge MArio Bergoglio. S666N Eternal Order

    ReplyDelete

  11. Such a nice post you shared with us. Check your tarot card reading love prediction here.

    ReplyDelete